Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What "I don't have time" really means.

When someone explains why they didn't do something, one of the most common reasons is "I don't have time."

And it's a good reason.  Everyone understands.  Everyone is busy.  No-one has time.

Didn't get that work done?  Didn't have time.

Can't manage to see friends?  No time.

Never manage to see the grandkids? So hard to find the time.

Can't get to the gym?  No time for that either.


No one holds you to account when the reason is "I don't have time."  YOU don't hold you to account when you say to yourself "Why aren't I doing that important thing? Well I don't have time of course." Everyone understands.


But the truth is that "I don't have time." is just an EXCUSE.  It's a get-out-of-jail-free card. It's a socially acceptable way of concealing the less palatable truth of why something didn't happen.


When someone says "It's hard to find the time to do that", what they are REALLY saying is "That's not high enough priority to me.  Everything else in my life is a higher priority."


So next time you hear someone say "I don't have time", convert those words to "All the other things in my life are higher priority than that activity and that's why I didn't do it.".


There's the truth - everyone has time, it's just a question of whether they are willing to make it a high enough priority to actually do.


And next time you find yourself saying "I just don't have time for that.", trying saying instead "Everything else is a higher priority, sorry.".  Even if you only say it to yourself you'll get closer to the truth about why you do and don't do things.




No comments:

Post a Comment